Stephen Hawking joined the stars on the 14th March 2018. Ta prof en ligne de soutien scolaire anglais t’en dit plus sur ce personnage unique.
Stephen Hawking restera une figure clé internationalement reconnue et admirée du 21ème siècle. Une inspiration pour beaucoup de scientifiques et pour le genre humain en général !
Stephen Hawking will remain an admired internationally-known key figure in the 21st Century. An inspiration for many scientists and for humankind in general!
He discovered that black holes were not really black and that they would eventually leak radiation and particles before exploding and disappearing. This discovery totally changed the scientists’ understanding of black holes. Look at this trailer showing Hawking contesting his teacher’s theory in 1964.
Click on the trailer link on bottom left hand corner of the screen. (Clique sur le lien bande annonce en bas à gauche de l’écran).
In 1963, he learned he had a neuromuscular wasting disease also known as Lou Gehrig’s disease, and was given less than three years to live. The disease reduced his bodily control but left his mental faculties untouched.
In 1965, he married Jane Wilde and had three children with her, Robert, Lucy and Timothy and he said his marriage gave him “something to live for” and gave him an incentive to work seriously toward his doctorate.
Click on this link if you want to read more about their love story
You will also see a video showing you some important moments in Stephen Hawking’s life.
In 1988, he published a book entitled: “A Brief History of Time: From the Big Bang to Black Holes”. It has sold more than 10 million copies.
Dr Hawkins obtained many awards for his outstanding work. The only one missing is The Nobel Prize but Hawking had an explanation: “The Nobel is given only for theoretical work that has been confirmed by observation. It is very, very difficult to observe the things I have worked on.”
You should watch the film based on his life to understand more about this outstanding man.
10 Stephen Hawking’s quotes
Stephen Hawking died on the 14th March 2018 at the age of 76.
Here are some of his quotes we will remember:
- The past, like the future, is indefinite and exists only as a spectrum of possibilities. Stephen Hawking
- Life would be tragic if it weren’t funny. Stephen Hawking
- Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen Hawking
- We are all now connected by the Internet, like neurons in a giant brain. Stephen Hawking
- Science is not only a disciple of reason but, also, one of romance and passion. Stephen Hawking
- We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special. Stephen Hawking
- We are in danger of destroying ourselves by our greed and stupidity. We cannot remain looking inwards at ourselves on a small and increasingly polluted and overcrowded planet. Stephen Hawking
- Time travel used to be thought of as just science fiction, but Einstein’s general theory of relativity allows for the possibility that we could warp space-time so much that you could go off in a rocket and return before you set out. Stephen Hawking
- I am just a child who has never grown up. I still keep asking these ‘how’ and ‘why’ questions. Occasionally, I find an answer. Stephen Hawking
- I was never top of the class at school, but my classmates must have seen potential in me, because my nickname was ‘Einstein.’ Stephen Hawking